The Stephan Archives will be adding approximately two linear feet of recently cleaned documents to the existing collection of Head Master McPherson papers (DC034). Though the Archives acquired the papers decades ago, poor condition resulted in their separation from the rest of the collection. They were set aside and left unsubscribed until funding could be secured for proper cleaning. Fortunately, a portion of Dr. John Stephan L. 1959 and Bobby Stephan’s generous gift was dedicated strictly for conservation work. This provided the Archives with the means to hire Belfor Restoration to properly clean the materials. The integration of these papers into the current Head Master McPherson collection will fill in the many gaps that exist in the current sermons and addresses series.
Though the bulk of the papers consist of numbered sermons and addresses both handwritten and printed, some documents pertaining to Davis House are also included. The Davis House material was likely created and maintained by Assistant Head Master and master of Davis House Charles Henry Raymond. The fact that the sermons and the Davis House material were stored together may be an indication that Charles Henry Raymond was in fact the collector and original arranger of the Head Master McPherson sermon collection.
This new accession is currently being arranged and described. Expect it to be open for research use within the next month!
The Lawrence, May 16, 2003
The Lawrence, April 20, 1956
The Lawrence, March 30, 2007