In celebration of Major League Baseball’s upcoming 2014 All-Star Game, here’s a glimpse from Lawrenceville’s baseball past. Below is a glass lantern slide featuring the Cleve House team from 1905.
We are currently arranging, describing, and scanning portions our or glass lantern slide collection. The collection features rare images of the campus in the early 20th century. Check our blog for future updates.
The Stephan Archives will be adding approximately two linear feet of recently cleaned documents to the existing collection of Head Master McPherson papers (DC034). Though the Archives acquired the papers decades ago, poor condition resulted in their separation from the rest of the collection. They were set aside and left unsubscribed until funding could be secured for proper cleaning. Fortunately, a portion of Dr. John Stephan L. 1959 and Bobby Stephan’s generous gift was dedicated strictly for conservation work. This provided the Archives with the means to hire Belfor Restoration to properly clean the materials. The integration of these papers into the current Head Master McPherson collection will fill in the many gaps that exist in the current sermons and addresses series.
Though the bulk of the papers consist of numbered sermons and addresses both handwritten and printed, some documents pertaining to Davis House are also included. The Davis House material was likely created and maintained by Assistant Head Master and master of Davis House Charles Henry Raymond. The fact that the sermons and the Davis House material were stored together may be an indication that Charles Henry Raymond was in fact the collector and original arranger of the Head Master McPherson sermon collection.
This new accession is currently being arranged and described. Expect it to be open for research use within the next month!
The 1852 Catalog of the Lawrenceville School helpfully included a floor plan for the “school house” — the building today known as Haskell House, which served as the main classroom building from 1832 until Memorial Hall (now Woods Memorial Hall) was built in 1885. Hamill House, built in 1814, was where boarders lived. Below you see the exterior of the School House on the left and what is now the Hamill House on the right. As you can see from the diagram of desks, the teacher sat at the back of the classroom (marked a) where he could keep an eye on the students.
With what is promising to be another intense snowstorm moving onto the East Coast, the Stephan Archives pulled out some of the photos from past historical snowstorms that have hit Lawrenceville, including one in 1902 and the renown Blizzard of March 1914.
Photo taken on Main Street looking South following 1902 snowstorm.
Undated early snowstorm photo in the village of Lawrenceville, c. 1900
Looking up Green Street following the March 1914 blizzard.
We have no idea who “Mr. Woods” is, but we do know this photo is from the blizzard that struck New Jersey in March 1914.